Thursday 2 May 2019

Southern border closed (April 3)



NOTES FROM THE SCOTCH COLONY

The Devil really did make me do it

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            So this is Spring. All winter I and most other people looked out our windows at the hellish expanse of white stuff and wondered when it would ever decide to melt – and not too quickly or under a deluge of April showers. We don’t need no flooding.
            Excuse me, that was bad grammar. I meant to say none of us ain’t in no need of flooding. The spring of 2012 is a chilling (no pun intended) reminder of what can happen.
            Speaking of Spring and thawing, I must speak to the government soon to alert them to what might happen when some drivers are a little too literal in reading road signs. I was shopping for groceries last week when I saw Glenna McManus standing in the diet and gluten-free aisle. She looked as if she had lost about thirty pounds since I had seen her last.
            “You’re looking sleek as a cheetah,” I said. That didn’t light up her expression any. She said it wasn’t her idea, by which I guessed that her husband Fred must have made some comment when she said something like: “Does this dress make me look fat?”
            “No, it wasn’t that,” she said glumly, if that’s a word. “About three weeks ago I was driving out to visit my friend Myrna in Craig’s Flat and screeched my Gremlin to a halt as I was driving up through The Gulch. I turned around and came back home because of the road sign just after I left Perth Hill.”
            “What did the road sign say?” I asked, and that was a stupid question, because signs can’t talk.
            “Well, it said ‘Weight restriction 80%’ in order to drive on that road, Highway 109 I think it is. So I came back home and started my crash diet.” I stared at her as if she were from the planet Mars and didn’t have the heart to tell her that the sign was aimed at trucks not Glennas.
            Glenna was the person who almost had a heart attack last year when she saw on TV that some guy named Trump was planning to close ‘the southern border’ as he was having a Twitter tantrum about something. “Oh no,” she moaned, “I have to drive down to Bath next week to babysit my grand-daughter and I won’t be able to if I can’t cross the southern border.” She was referring to the border between Victoria and Carleton Counties. Personally, I am not sure I would want her to babysit my grand-daughter.
            I mentioned that Spring is now here so now is the time to stock up on fly dope so the blackflies, mooseflies, deer ticks and the rest of Nature’s creatures will be met with a nuclear arsenal the like of which we’ve seldom seen. Of course there is the option of staying inside and watching television. They say the Toronto Blue Jays aren’t doing very well this year but since I don’t live in Toronto any more it’s not a big issue.
            Speaking of Toronto, I am thinking back to the most fabulous landlady – fabulous meaning as crazy as a cut cat – I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. Her house was located in Scarborough, just off Lawrence Avenue, and within walking distance of my work near the Scarborough Bluffs. I was training as a meteorological technician and would soon be stationed in Alert, NWT.
            Back to my landlady, whom I’ll call Mrs. Littlewood because that was her name. She would not give any of her boarders a key and she had a 10:00 pm curfew. She would lock every door at that time and if anyone came home at 10:01 pm they were S.O.L. That is, out of luck.
            Within my first week there I went to evening church (a pub) and didn’t get back home until almost 10:30. I pounded on the door and windows for at least fifteen minutes before Mr. Littlewood came to the door and let me in. “Don’t let that happen again,” he said. “Lois will call the police. She has before – on me.” About that time the thought of a nice warm cell on that February evening seemed rather enticing, but I took his warning as a warning and didn’t come home late again.
            It was an interesting household. The only bright spot was that Mrs. Littlewood could cook, if you can stand fried baloney six times a week but I am a New Brunswicker.  If we went away for the weekend were had to let her know exactly where to be reached at all times and when we would be back. Another interesting item: during the four months I lived there (Jan. 5, 1974-April 22, 1974) I had to buy three safety razors because mine kept disappearing. I put an identifying scratch on the third one I bought and found it later in Mr. And Mrs. Littlewood’s bathroom.
Believe me when I say I was glad to get out of that place and here’s a final note: as I was leaving and they were both out, I borrowed his screwdriver and removed the front door’s Yale lock. Don’t blame me; the Devil made me do it.
                                -END-

No comments: