Friday 28 December 2018

How governments started (Dec 12/18)


NOTES FROM THE SCOTCH COLONY

Whatdya mean, CHILD-proof?

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            My friend and neighbour (who lives 15 kilometres away) Clyde Hainsworth hates to take pills, but on Monday he had some kind of a dog-ail, as my late father-in-law used to call illness, and went to see Dr. Feinstein.
            The physician prescribed something called Fender-bend – or at least that’s what Clyde called it – so Clyde picked some up at the drugstore; as soon as he got home the trouble started.
            I happened to be driving past his house when I heard a mighty boom that sounded as if it had come from his front lawn. Sure enough, there was Clyde out there in his slippers and not much else, and he carried what looked like a 12-gauge shotgun. A bit of smoke was rolling out from the gun’s barrel.
            He pointed to the ground where little – VERY little – pieces of plastic lay amid a scattering of white pills. “Well, I guess that child-proof pill bottle lived up to its name. I couldn’t get it open and I tried pliers, a hammer and finally Old Barleycorn here.” He patted the gun affectionately. He started picking the pills out of the debris and putting them in his pocket.
            It’s true isn’t it? Those child-proof bottles, easily opened by any child over the age of two, are almost impossible for us alleged adults to open. Whoever designed them was clearly a member of a South American death squad. Clyde and I talked for a while but not long since his ears were ringing and he couldn’t hear much, but I did have a suggestion for him.
            That suggestion was the same one I advise older people to do if they acquire a computer for the first time – get a child to show you how it operates. A month later I again stopped by Clyde’s house to ask how things were going. I was surprised to learn that he had taken my advice. His next pill order had shown up the day before and he had immediately called his grandson Curly, who popped open the container and put the pills in a butter dish. There’s always a way.
                                                ***********************
            “You talk a lot about “the good old days”, Charlotte Beamsley emailed me the other day. “I agree that things are better nowadays, Donald Trump notwithstanding, but we have lost a lot of words from are language and I don’t think they will ever be back.
            “When I went to school, the word ‘gay’ meant cheerful but today you could say it doesn’t always mean the same thing. Indeed,” she continued, “it can still mean cheerful, but there is another meaning built in.” I thought about the word ‘indeed’ that she had used and resolved to ask my thousands of friends how many times they had used it in the past six months. So the word ‘gay’ meaning happy and the word ‘indeed’ that is used to emphasize things have both changed from the good old days.
            Just for the record, I am not complaining about either change, but just pointing out that English continues to evolve.
            Take the phrase ‘rap music’ for an example. Since there is no such thing, the whole thing is weird. Rap is just a beat looking for some music, or you could say it is lyrics looking for some music, but unfortunately there ain’t no music involved.
            While I am on this rant, what’s up with television news readers saying that they had “referenced” something when all they mean is that they referred to it, and what happened to the word ‘affect’? These days events ‘impact’ things instead of affecting them. On the other hand, it would sound a little strange to refer to ‘an affected wisdom tooth’.
It’s all bewildering to me. That’s why I stay home and drink after looking  longingly at the Cannibis NB store as I drive by.
            Do you remember buying water in the good old days? Not. Remember what your dog and cat ate? Right, they ate what you ate, but somewhere along the way they became little icons and angels and could only exist on a diet of antibiotics and TLC.
                                                *****************
            LaFrance Dictionary…What is the difference between a bureaucrat and a manager?
            A bureaucrat is one whose entire life is centred around inconveniencing others to the point where those ‘others’ are driven around the bend, or a series of bends. A bureaucrat enjoys putting up roadblocks (I’m not talking about the Tobique Narrows Dam here) and when he or she can reduce grown men and women to tears of frustration that is a day well spent. At that point the bureaucrat ticks off another day on the way to its pension. Notice I did not say “well-earned” pension.
            A manager likes to have things work correctly and makes a real effort to bend the bureaucrats under him or her to actually accomplish something. When an immovable object meets an irresistible force what can be the only result? Government.
                                              -end-

No comments: