Saturday 8 September 2018

Trump is Putin's (female dog) July 25/18


For Blackfly Gazette July 25/18


NOTES FROM THE SCOTCH COLONY

Tobique Narrows Dam road driveable now?

                        by Robert LaFrance

            It seems to me that Tobique Narrows dam roadway (Highway 105) has been either closed or mightily inconvenient for something like 18 years. I could be wrong.
            For the past five years or so it has either been closed, down to one lane, half-closed with a ‘Bailey Bridge’ type detour, or accessible after waiting six or seven minutes at a traffic light. And I think there’s even more work to be done on it down the road, so to speak.
            All this road work and rebuilding of the dam’s underpinnings started because during an inspection workers noted that it was crumbling underneath and should be closed that afternoon. Heavy trucks were immediately banned (translation: only about 73% of trucks still went over the damn road – I mean dam road) and the roadway was closed soon afterward.
            People from Tobique First Nation, Tilley and Rowena, if they wanted to go to Perth-Andover, had to go via Arthurette or Brooks Bridge, unless that bridge’s scary deck persuaded them to go via Grand Falls. Not that they didn’t enjoy a nice tour of the countryside, but many would have no doubt preferred a more direct route. Also, several people commented to me that they didn’t feel completely safe following a 40,000 pound tractor-trailer across Brooks Bridge when the load limit was – and is – something like one fifth of that.
            As far as I know, these days Tobique Narrows Dam roadway is open both directions, without traffic lights and everybody is rather pleased – until it’s closed again next year, next week, or tomorrow.
            Born in 1948, I can just barely remember when that damn (dam, excuse me) was installed with its curious turn at the north end, just in case drivers needed a challenge. My father, Fred LaFrance, hauled gravel to help build the dam and even bought a new dump truck, a 1952 International, to do the job. Of course when the Liberal government yielded to a Conservative one in 1952 he, being a Liberal, lost his job, but he was philosophical about it. “%$#(*&^%$#,” I remember his saying philosophically.
            A pre-schooler at the time, I was there when Canadian Army demolition experts (the best kind) blew up the bridge that we used to cross to get to town. Sitting beside me well back from the explosion, my Uncle Tom, told me it was going to be loud. I saw the old bridge get blasted in all directions and could see he had been wrong – it was silent. I took my hands away from my ears. Then the sound wave arrived. I went, as the phrase goes, ass over teakettle into the nearby bushes. Next time my Uncle Tom (1902-1966) tells me to hold my hands over my ears and keep them there I will listen more carefully. If I can hear him.
                                                ************
            Going from 1953 explosions to today’s computer problems (I couldn’t figure out a way to make that transition), I received a phone call this morning at 7:06 and it was somebody concerned about my computer’s health.
            “Hello, is this Monsewer LaFrance?” said a voice whose accent reminded me of my years in India. “This is the Windows Technical Department. I am calling about a problem with your computer. We have detected a virus that could result in serious trouble when you go online.” Click.
            Now for a little background explanation. For several Robbie Burns Night shows the legendary actress and comedienne Mavis Smith, who lives just down the road, did a sketch on the subject of telemarketers. Her phone would ring and it would be ‘Computer Services’ or some such ersatz foolishness. Or it would be someone from Nigeria telling her she had just inherited $50 million, except that she needed to send $487 to get the paperwork done.
            The voice on the phone would go into its spiel for most of a minute; Mavis would say a few things that almost sounded as if she were buying it. Perhaps the voice would suggest there was a problem with Windows and then Mavis would ask if they thought it was serious and the person would assure her that if it wasn’t fixed immediately all of eastern Canada would sink into the Atlantic.
            Finally Mavis might say something like: “My windows are fine; my grandson  cleans and washes them twice a year.” Then there would a long pause before the voice said:
            “What kind of a computer do you have Mrs. Smith?”
            Mavis would answer: “Oh, I don’t have a computer.” How I pity the poor telemarketer who calls her, even today although she has retired from the stage.
                                                *****************
            I can’t seem to get through a column without saying something about Donald Trump. After his recent meeting in Helsinki with Russian President Vladimar Putin I have settled on a name for Trump: Putin’s (female dog). I would say ‘bitch’ but this is a family newspaper.                                         
                                                                END

No comments: