Wednesday 29 November 2017

Stay out of Iceland (Nov 15)


A midnight tour of Iceland for us all

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I am writing this column on my laptop in a small lounge in the small Pierpoint Hotel in the small city of Reykjavik in the small country of Iceland. (The noise taking place in our room makes it impossible for me to concentrate there.)
            There are five couples registered in this hotel – Flug and his present wife Magda, Gerry Plum and his brother Boyd, the Perfessor and his wife, also named Magda, Jimmy Caine and his wife Susan, and my wife Diane and I. We are having a time.
            “My name is Darlene, Bob,” said my long-suffering wife.
            Going back a few days – about a week really – I will try to explain why we are here. Last Tuesday Boyd Plum was looking in an old trunk in his attic and found one hundred shares of Microsoft stock bought in 1989. Neither he nor his brother remembered buying them, but their names were on them. I looked it up and the shares would have cost $2100. How could they forget? Of course they had inherited that money from their Uncle Jed.
            “I was going to throw them away because I didn’t think they were still any good,” Boyd told ‘the gang’ afterward. “Then we took them in to the bank manager. She took one look and turned a whiter shade of pale,” he said poetically. The manager bade them to sit down.
            “Do you know what you have here?” she asked the boys (as we call them). Although they didn’t, they soon found out. There are differing figures involved here, but the boys agreed that those pieces of paper turned out to be worth somewhere in the vicinity of $762,110, give or take a little pocket change.
            So here we are. The Plum brothers, generous to the end, paid for this whole trip, drinks and all. By the way, I am done trying to type because we’re all going on a ‘nightclub tour’. I used to call it ‘bar-hopping’ when I lived in Hamilton, Ontario. We’re going to a place called Laugavegur that allegedly has over fifty nightclubs. I’ll report later on how many of them we were able to visit.
                                                **********************
            I am writing this two days later and I must report that we didn’t do well on our nightclub tour. Only 17 places. It is embarrassing for a Maritimer. I’ll write while the rest of them are in church. They certainly need it.
            Here in our room where I am typing away on my laptop there is a wonderful view of the street that goes by here and stops abruptly at some hot geysers. Good thing I would say, because that water is HOT. Here in Iceland they get almost all their electric power from hydro and geothermal sources.
            But that’s sounding too much like classroom teaching. The point I was about to make is that this city of Reykjavik contains what must be the record for distracted drivers. I couldn’t concentrate on my writing because I kept seeing those drivers, many of them behind the wheels of their cars.
            The reason I say that ‘many’ of them are behind the wheels of their cars is that in many other cases dogs, cats and other domestic animals appeared to be driving. I never saw anything like it. It’s possible in Perth-Andover, Plaster Rock or Grand Falls to see this, but it’s pretty much the norm over here.
            I made some notes. In the space of fifteen minutes I counted 16 dogs driving – one of them a Great Dane – and 9 cases of cats up in the drivers’ faces. Once, when traffic had slowed to a crawl, a middle-aged gent whipped out a cordless electric razor and started shaving his own face, then shaved a bit from the sides of a poodle that was perched on his lap. I hope neither of them had fleas.
                                                *********************
            Back in Canada after that fascinating tour, I just got a phone call from Boyd Plum who said it had all been a mistake and the bank had finally realized that those Microsoft stock certificates had been photocopies of real ones and we each owed him $18,879. The copies had been used in a play performed at Southern Victoria High School gymnasium, as if it made a difference where the play had been put on.
            It was shocking to say the least, but as my wife Diane-
            “That’s Darlene,” she reminded me.
            As my wife Darlene and I were sitting there half-comatose and wondering where we were going to get $18,879 as well as $40 to buy that week’s groceries, the phone rang again. It was Gerry Plum.
            “Crisis over,” he said. “I found the real stock certificates and it turns out there are 150 genuine shares of Microsoft. They’re worth over a million dollars – WELL over a million dollars. What say we all take another trip? How about Indonesia?”
            With one voice, my wife Diane and I roared: “NO! A thousand times no!”
                                                 -end-

No comments: