Sunday 7 May 2017

Flug won the lottery! (April 26)


Complaining about a skiff of snow

                        by Robert LaFrance

            This is part of the weather forecast for Wednesday evening, April 19: “Rain and snow in the evening...then all snow.”
            Now I ask you: “SNOW on April 19th? This is communism. I don’t want to talk about it any more.
                                                **********************
            Looking at the good side of things, my friend Flug (Richard LaFrance, no relation) won a pile of money in a lottery and is going to take me and my wife out to supper/dinner. The bad news is that he is going to put a $45 limit on each of us.
            “Wrong, Bob,” said Flug, who was reading over my shoulder as I typed those immortal words. “I said a TOTAL of forty-five dollars and we’ll pick up the tip.” The ‘we’ he referred to was (or were) he and his latest wife Janine Lewindowski-Smith-Jones-Lennon. She, like Flug, has chosen the well-worn marital path quite a few times over the years. I only report a small number of her blissful spouses, blissful now that she’s gone from their marital beds.
            Thursday, April 20, 2017 – I rolled out of bed at 7:25 am to find that about three inches (approx. 34 kilograms I think, in metric) of snow had fallen during the night. The previous evening I had texted my daughter in Singapore that this snow was forecast. She asked me if I was lying. In the morning I texted her a photo of the whited-out ground. “Does this look like lying?” I asked. She said it was 32ºC over there and she was about to leap into the pool.
            Jump ahead to later in the month. We ate at a gourmet restaurant named Belle’s Truck Stop. Their only dish, at least that day, was beans. Baked beans, string beans, Jack and the Beanstalk beans, refried beans – they know their beans.
            Indeed, they serve so many beans that a special carbon tax (just for them) is making its way through the House of Commons and Senate as we speak. As we know, beans are the musical fruit, but tough on the old ozone layer.
            Flug, still looking over my shoulder, said he wanted to correct something I had reported earlier in the column. He hadn’t won a lottery; he had won a Phoenix.
            For those to whom the word Phoenix is not familiar, other than the Greek mythology bird that rises from the ashes of other Phoenixes, we should remember that it is also a federal government program that organizes payrolls. It has a few minor flaws, like depositing 12 cents into one civil servant’s account for her bi-weekly pay.
            Flug, who receives a federal pension, was one Canadian who did not complain about Phoenix. His monthly cheque, usually $1277, was $24,339 last month. He’s hoping that Phoenix does not slip back into its ashes anytime soon. “An honest man would inform them,” he said, “but guess what?”
                     -end-

No comments: