Friday 5 August 2016

I will be an 'award-winning columnist' (July 20)


DIARY

Some things, like King James, can’t be explained

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I just came in from my front garden where I picked peas for half an hour, enough to feed any two pigs – not mentioning names – for half a day. Looking over my journals from previous years, I can brag that this is the earliest I have ever picked ripe peas. My beets, romaine lettuce and onions? I don’t want to talk about it.
            Another thing: I drive here and there and often see roadside gardens that are beautiful and geometric, but mine are about as neat as a missed hockey hip check. I saw one of those during the playoffs and was impressed with how a player could hurl himself over the glass and up to the fifth row.
            On to a gentler subject – books - last Wednesday evening, when I was visiting Clyde Nigel St. John (pronounced Sin-gin) at his cottage in Lower Kintore, I was impressed by his book collection of several thousand volumes, most of them about British history before Brexit. I might have been less impressed than some, because I have 500-600 books, almost all about Canadian and New Brunswick history. Still, I was impressed, since his cottage was really a cabin. Every wall was filled with books. Of all those tomes, the one that impressed me the most though, was the King James Version of the Holy Bible – now get this – SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR.
            Listening to a CBC radio program about the mistakes Albert Einstein made in his General Theory of Relativity (published 1916) I was astonished at how wrong he was about certain things. I know my relatives are quite baffling too. Relativity, get it? The common tater, a scientist, spoke for half an hour and then conceded that Einstein was right in 99.9% of his theories. If I had done that well in school, I might have gone into something complicated, like meteorology, the study of meteors.
            Yesterday morning one of the ladies in the UCW, CWL, DAR, or the YWCA asked Flug why he never wears shorts. I almost choked on my lemonade. I have seen Flug’s legs, back in Ottawa when we were both on the Parliament Hill Co-Ed Field Hockey team. However, we did make it to the nationals that year, in Nepean, Ontario. Since Nepean is right next to Ottawa and we were two of the only three teams in the league, the other being Maxville, ON, it was quite convenient. We won, by the way, because Flug`s legs (that looked like folded up pancakes laced with chokecherries) kept the other teams helpless with laughter.
            Ah, we were young athletes them. Now I don’t understand athletes at all. My daughter Kate played all season with the Fredericton Gladiators women’s tackle football team and went on to make the Maritime team, but I’ll never understand why anyone would play tackle football. Her Maritime team will be playing in the nationals next month in Regina and I wish her and them all the best. Like Swahili, I’ll never understand it.
            A quick question: Do you often use the phrase ‘of course’ when answering a question? It was only yesterday that I finally realized that ‘of course’ doesn’t make any sense.
            CBC Radio and MPBN Radio (PBS) occasionally play music from other lands and I have to admit I rarely am able to get any joy out of it. I mean, I grew up listening to Hank Williams and Don Messer. Am I really going to enjoy a sitar concert? Back in the 1960s the Beatles went to India and learned the True Way from a sitar player named Ravi Shankar, and even got him to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show. I watched it and couldn’t make head nor tails of it. Rap gives me the same feeling. Maybe some people think it’s music, but I don’t.
            Another quick question: What the hell is a ‘research analyst’? I keep hearing people being described as such, and I could be listening to…well…Swahili again. Yet no one questions it. Does this person analyze research? Does he or she research analysis? One of the great unsolved mysteries of life in the 21st century.
            One of the descriptions I also tire of is the adjective ‘award-winning’. At a media event last week, a newspaper guy from the National Post was introduced as an ‘award-winning  columnist’ (it could have been Communist) and I wondered what was the award he had won? Nobody said. Accordingly, I am going to carve a plaque – this would be an award – out off a piece of birch and have Silo the bartender present it to me. Then I can be introduced as ‘an award-winning’ columnist. Or Communist.
            Now I have to find someone who will introduce me.
                                        -end-

No comments: