Wednesday 23 March 2016

"Does this dress make me look fat?" (March 23)



DIARY

Loaded questions and answers

                        by Robert LaFrance

            A question to husbands: Did you wife ever say to you: “Are you planning to go to town dressed like that?” Like the question “Does this dress make me look fat?”, it is one that can never be – or SHOULD never be – answered. Just saying. So don’t try.
            I am going to try and get through this column without mentioning the certain race that’s going on south of our border, but it doesn’t look good. When I was growing up I heard all about a certain British guy named Colonel Blimp, and it does look as if he has emigrated, but that’s enough on that subject.
            A CBC Radio news story recently caught my ear. The announcer spoke about a municipal government employee in Cadiz, southern Spain. Joaqim Garcia’s co-workers at the water company wanted to give him a long-service award but couldn’t find him. It turned out he hadn’t been at work for at least six years, but had continued on the payroll at about $41,000 a year (direct deposit). No one had noticed.
            When the journalist had found him at his home instead of in his office down the hall in the city-owned building, he said there had been nothing to do, so he simply went home to do it. The labour department sued him but were only able to collect about $30,000. The CBC journalist, Lauren Fryer, ended the news spot with these words: “He has since retired.” True story. Go ahead and Google it. It’s taking EI to a grand new level.
            Just looking at my notebook and seeing a few scribbled words about the rampant  wimpism now afoot. What I’m saying is that people today are a bunch of wimps, but I’m not going to blither on about wearing only a t-shirt and shorts as I walked ten miles to school in –40º weather.
            On Tuesday, Feb. 9, I was listening to the radio, probably CBC, and heard a man describing the weather that was going on around him. Seems to me he was located at St. Stephen or Kedgwick, one a them places. “It’s blistering cold here,” he told the announcer, “and if the wind starts up it will be vicious.” The announcer asked just how cold it was and the man said: “Minus nine Celsius.”
            Were my ears telling me the truth? I checked my car thermometer. Sure enough it was –9ºC. “Are you kidding me?” I asked the radio. I remembered walking to school while wearing only a t-shirt and shorts in –40º weather. Oh wait…I said I wouldn’t do that. Anyway, long story short, I got out of the car to check how cold it really was on the flesh. I’m thinking now I should have stopped first.
            It occurs to me as I am approaching my dotage (getting older than the hills) that I haven’t received anywhere near enough awards, certificates, and things like that. When I say I haven’t received anywhere near enough of that stuff, I mean I haven’t received any, except for a certificate for serving (and I mean serving) on the District 31 School Board from 1986-1989.
            Remembering those heady days, I also remember that it was not long after my stint that the province – in its wisdom as the saying goes – added two small schools to the district, called it District 13 for luck, and added about 25 employees in the school district office in Perth. It was one of the few times that the number of school district employees exceeded the number of students they were supposed to administer. Another interesting point I noticed back then was that when Murray Andrews retired, the district replaced him with three employees.
            I am sure you noticed that, as in the case of various viral and bacterial infections, bureaucracies, especially government ones, do tend to grow like bad weeds. Very bad weeds.
            Carrying on with the idea expressed a few paragraphs back, I think that I could be mollified (bought off) in the matter of my not receiving awards if I were named to the Senate.
            Prime Minister Trudeau, cheerful after his recent soujourn in Washington, must be about ready to name some new senators, for which I now eagerly throw my hat into the ring. I have all the qualifications (totally without scruples, etc.) and am eagerly awaiting the moving truck that will transfer my belongings, mainly electronic devices and lemonade, to my new residence along Sussex Drive in Ottawa. I have already put in a bid on a house whose previous tenant has moved back to Calgary.
                                               -end-

No comments: