Tuesday 29 December 2015

The lemonade is so delightful (Dec. 23 column)

“Your call is important to us”…NOT


                                    by Robert LaFrance

            I just hung up the phone – and I know that “hung up” is a misnomer in this age of smartphones – after waiting 17 minutes to talk to a human and thought: “Gosh darn. Clearly these businesses don`t want MY business.”
            I happen to know that all their operators are NOT busy taking calls, and I happen to know that my call is not important to them in the least. Like government, bank, or insurance company voice mails, they just want to get me off the line so they can go back to finding other ways to ignore me.
            Remember the good old days when there was a building full of telephone operators? The last one I recall was located in a brick building that’s still there in Andover.
            You picked up the phone in Tilley and a few seconds later a female voice asked what number you wanted. You would say 471 and she would connect you, or at least your voice, with someone who lived at the phone number 471. If it rang and rang she would say: “There can't be anyone home. I think they went to the Fort (Fairfield) shopping. Ethel’s sister works at the hardware store over there.”
            PRIVACY ISSUES!!!!!!! Today that operator would lose her job and would be lucky to escape execution for letting out private information. Very serious.
            In 2015 the world is a little crazy about privacy issues, don't you think? Of course if we look around, the reason is almost always that government wants to keep any kind of information from us. I especially like (dislike) the routine: “I can't comment because it`s before the courts.”
            We had better get used to it. Governments and every other big organization see their main function as keeping information from the public, we who pay their salaries. If there is any excuse for not answering a question, they will seize it.
            “What time is it?” I asked a government bureaucrat.
            “That matter is before the courts.”
                                    *************************
            “O, the weather outside is frightful, but lemonade is so delightful…”
            As I walked by Flug’s house, I heard this ‘music’ coming from the big guy’s living room. His wife MaryAnne was on a stepladder and painting some trim along the door. I was astonished. None of Flug’s 17 spouses had ever been of the domestic variety and therefore didn’t last long, but this one seemed different. Could he have finally found the gorilla of his dreams? (One of his favourite phrases.)
            “Come in Bob, and have a lemonade!” he shouted from where he was hand sanding a coffee table. I sat down quickly. Flug and that kind of work have always been allergic to each other. I took a whole case of lemonade from his fridge. MaryAnn smiled at me.
            I left that place two hours later with a feeling of euphoria, not all due to the lemonade. Flug, whom I’ve known since he was a barber on Parliament Hill back in the 1970s, had finally found a mate. A rich mate. Abigail Remelle, who kept her own name when she married Flug two weeks ago, is the CEO of Microsoft Canada. Their living room was chock-a-block with electronic equipment, showing that she meant to work from home.
            I’m very happy for my old friend, especially since his heart was broken in early December when he went to Toronto with the idea of marrying Suzanne Leonard of The Weather channel and she turned him down. She said living in the Maritimes with all its snow was too depressing an idea to consider.
                                    *************************
            I didn’t think I could ever be surprised at things that happen south of our border, but they have done it again.
            The American people have accomplished some wonderful things in the past 150 years, but they are now known more by the totally moronic things they continue to do. Cops shooting people in the back, Donald Trump (who defies description), the fascist Tea Party, their Electoral College which is weird, their electing of judges, sheriffs, etc., and O. J. Simpson – those are just a few.
            Last week though was the topper as far as weird goes, and I think it was a serious news story.
            From the Roanoke-Chowan Herald-News: “A town council in North Carolina rejected plans to rezone land for a solar farm after residents voiced fears it would cause cancer, stop plants from growing and suck up all the energy from the sun.”

            There are a lot of brilliant and decent people in the U.S., but the morons have taken over. At one time that country was the leader of ‘The Free World’. Now it’s working toward being just a collection of gun-toting idiots revelling in their stupidity.
                                          -end-

No comments: