Saturday 11 April 2015

A strange definition of 'hard times' (April 8 column)

DIARY

My ‘hard times’ are not their ‘hard times’

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            I have no idea why I was reading the business section of the March 25 edition of my daily paper – I have no money - but when I got to page D3 and read “American Express faces hard times”, I was concerned.
            It’s serious when a big company like that goes through ‘hard times’.
            The company’s share prices had dropped twelve percent which was bad news – for the actual workers. When share prices drop, the folks in middle management leap into action and lay off everyone below them.
Cleaning out the crowd responsible for the drop in stock price never seems to occur to anyone, so the ones who actually do the work lose their jobs. In this case it was four thousand persons, most with families I am sure.
            Then came the real disaster. In the next paragraph I read that analysts have cut their forecasts of 2015 profits from $6.2 billion to $5.6 billion. No wonder they’re saying ‘hard times’ are here. Boy, would I love to experience those hard times.
Let’s face it; hard times are here to stay. Only last week I heard about a guy who bought a truck supposedly worth $55,000 and then lost his job. He got another job, but it only paid $41,000 a year. He is now reduced to watching black-and-white television to pay for that truck, his $25,000 snowmobile, rent ($650 a month), insurance ($200+ a month), and his iPhone, and iPad. Plus, let's not forget iFood.
Although the official inflation rate has been no higher than 3% a year since 1995, I suspect the actual (not lying) rate is more like 8.5%. I paid $10,300 for a one and a half storey house in 1980 and today that same house is officially valued at $112,000. If inflation were truly 3% a year, its actual book value would be $28,983.            
And don’t forget, it’s now a depressed housing market.
Another example of the brutal existence we suffer is what news reporters referred to as ‘the NB election night fiasco’ of 2014. Could it be that we have lost our perspective(s) and possibly our minds?
In the March 4 edition of my daily newspaper was the announcement that although the tabulating machines worked well, the software didn’t (the operation was a success but the patient died), so they scrapped the software and ruined the reputations of many computer programmers.
Let’s remember that the delay was only a few hours, five in a couple of cases, and all the recounts (hardly the fault of the computers) confirmed what had been reported. Are we so spoiled that a few hours make that much difference?
                                    *************************
Someone living in the city of Saint John has put up a website where people can vote on what is the worst street in the municipality. He should come to Victoria County.
Earlier today I drove (limped) across Tobique Narrows dam and thought that short road – not counting the new parts – held the worst potholes in the area. But wait!
I then drove to New Street, at Tobique First Nation, and saw that it would put up quite a fight for the title of Worst Street or Road. If that were located in Saint John, that  guy would simply close down his website because it would be no contest.
Those two locations I mentioned – the dam(n) roadway and New Street – are so bad that whoever is in charge of roads in this county should be brought there duct-taped to the back of a 1974 GMC pickup with bad springs, and then driven back and forth for half an hour. He, she or it would soon decide that perhaps D.O.T. (I refuse to call it DTI – they’re just hiding) should send out a dozen trucks to work there a week or so.
There’s no reason, given normal government waste, that human beings should have to travel on such roads. I know of potholes, there and on other roads such as Highway 105, that have been there since last summer without any effort being made to repair them.
Enough for now on that infuriating subject.
                                    *************************
Speaking of infuriating, the trial of the surviving Boston Marathon bomber brother is still going on today, with the defendant’s position being: “The devil made me do it”.
I am not exactly a capital punishment nut, but I have been wondering how a chap, being filmed all the while, can set down a bomb on the sidewalk, and minutes later the bomb kills many innocent people, and expect anything but the death penalty. If there weren't such a thing as the death penalty for a federal crime, that would be that, but there is.

His defence isn’t really that the Devil made him do it; it was his brother, killed shortly after the bombing, who forced him to blew up those kids. Hey listen, I know what he means. When I was a teenager and my big brother Lawrence would have told me to jump off the barn, I wouldn’t have had a choice.
                                                -end-

No comments: