Saturday 15 November 2014

Prime Minister Stephen Harper - weatherman (Nov. 12)

Whatever happened to Pamela Wallin?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Many people have congratulated my daughter Kate who did very well on Episode 6 of the CBC-TV show “Canada’s Smartest Person” and when I say ‘many’ I mean  MANY people.
            Facebook, emails, tweets, etc. – she is still receiving accolades for her great performance, but I think I should get a medal or two as well, plus some sort of medical attention for biting my fingernails down to the third knuckle.
            It’s a nerve-racking thing to watch your kid, even if she is 29, stand up there on national TV and not only hold her own, but very nearly win the final over a guy who got his medical degree when he was 23.
            Anyone who wants to watch that episode #6 can go to this URL on the Internet: http://www.cbc.ca/smartestperson/episodes. I feel that on there somewhere should be a big thank you to ME from CBC-TV. I guarantee I was much more nervous than Kate.
                                    *****************************
            I try not to talk about the weather too much, but I must say that first winter snowstorm was a doozie. I’ve written to the Prime Minister who has often implied he can control the weather, but so far I have only received a letter from one of his flunkies – a George P. Donleavy.
            Mr. Donleavy asserted that, although PM Harper can indeed control the weather, he was busy at the moment welcoming a delegation from Chernobyl. I understand that they have glowing praise for the job the prime minister has done so far.
            I just want to say, Mr. Prime Minister, that I am totally unimpressed with your first huge snowstorm of the year and I sincerely hope that will be it until Dec. 24 when you will drop just enough to make it a white Christmas. Then perhaps Global Warming will take over and we will be out in our pools by the first of February.
            (NOTE FROM MY FRIEND FLUG: The only pools Bob has ever participated in has been the hockey pools or pool halls.)
            Back to the subject after that unauthorized interruption, I was not greatly inconvenienced by the huge snowstorm, but I must soon do a story on garage owners. They are now part of the ‘nouveau riche’ culture because their garages have been going night and day putting on winter tires. I have called three garages this morning already and the earliest they could ‘fit me in’ has been January 27th.
            Here are a few more observations from someone who doesn’t always have enough useful things to do: The first one involves birdseed. I am about to sue (for false advertising) the companies who sell birdseed; this past spring, for the second year in a row, I planted birdseed in the garden and not one chickadee or robin grew. All that came up were sunflowers.
            I’m also thinking of suing a certain communications company. In July I saw an ad for a ‘bundle’ consisting of satellite TV, high-speed Internet, and land-line telephone, all three for $115 a month plus tax. A month later I added $15 worth of programming so that my total monthly bill should have been $130 plus tax. My smallest monthly bill so far has been $238 and every time I get my bill I have to phone the company and complain that they’ve charged me for things that must have been added by my dog Kezman, like extra mileage for the guy hooking up the TV since he lives in Saskatoon. I think I’m about to go back to my previous companies.
            The other evening, over a jar of lemonade – actually two jars, he’s not THAT much of a friend – Flug and I were talking about pre-existence. It was late. He said that Louie, a friend of his, had positive proof that he had had a previous life as an assistant to Julius Caesar. Indeed, Louie and Caesar’s wife had married after the emperor had been murdered by Brutus and others. Flug looked a little sad at that point and I asked him what was wrong. “My previous life was as Gene Autrey’s horse, Trigger. I told him that I had long suspected he was a certain part of a horse and this was proof positive. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that Gene’s horse had been Champion, not Trigger.
               As I’ve mentioned before, some words find their way into everyday use even though not a one of us has an idea what they mean. A show of hands, please: what does the word ‘algorithm’ mean? I don’t know either, although I hear it about every day. How about ‘matrix’? ‘Parameter’? Remember those forgotten Senate scandals during which Senator Pamela Wallin kept saying the word ‘recuse’ which means drop out or delete oneself? Within the next month every reporter in Canada started using that word in his or her stories.

            By the way, is Pamela going to be recused from the Senate? There’s no recuse for her behaviour.
                                             -end- 

No comments: