Wednesday 6 February 2013

Phone call for Robert LaFrance!


I am ready, aye ready, to serve Canada
(and help myself)     

 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 

            Note to Prime Minister Stephen Harper: It has been a while since a Senate seat has come open in this area, but I just want you to know that I stand ready to serve my country when I get the phone call. Indeed, I am also watching my email, telephone answering machine, carrier pigeon roost, and group mailbox for word that I have been elevated, or at least my bank account has been elevated, to the Senate.

            The Senate of Canada has 102 seats, some of them filled with bums** at least part of the time. We don’t want to ask too much of older folks, like Sen. Denise Batters of Saskatchewan. She’s 42. Two Quebec senators, Claude Carignan and Leo Housakos, are 48 years old and 45 years old, respectively. Prime Minister Harper has given these people lifetime pensions of (base salary) $133,000 a year plus all the perks, for thirty or more years.
 
                 **Euphemism for human being.

            Don’t get me wrong; I love the whole idea, but I want to get in on the gravy. Please don’t think I am some kind of tree-hugging, green sprouting do-good-nik, because I’m not. I just want to get up in the morning every Friday morning, go down to my (electronic) mailbox, and find a deposit there in the area of $3000.
 
          NOTE: As a senator, I would be obliged to appear in the Senate 76 times each session.

            Mr. Harper recently appointed five more Senators, whose list of names I notice did not include mine. One of them was actually elected by Albertans, so that was democratic. Yeah. He’s Doug Black, now Senator Doug Black. He was especially noted in the media because, during his previous job with the University of Calgary, he broke several expense account records. He spent more than $28,000 between February 2011 and August 2012 whereas the previous guy in his job, Jack Perraton, claimed a total of $434 expenses in three and a half years. Senator Black is the fox that we Canadian taxpayers just let loose in the henhouse.

                                                                        ****************************

            Another person in the public eye lately has been New Brunswick’s Health Minister Ted Flemming, who just might be described as a loose cannon. His opinion of those against ‘fracking’ to get natural gas is that they are ‘hillbillies’ who are looking at the world from their shacks.

            Also, he spent several weeks giving the impression that our doctors are quadruple billing, kicking dogs, and are just generally there ripping off the system. He was going to root out all these crooks. Then reality struck and the cannon had to be once more secured to the deck. It turned out that a tiny percentage of doctors overbilled the Medicare system, and most of that was because of errors.

            Another statement of his I found particularly amusing was his assertion that if the province closed 7 out of 22 emergency rooms, patient care would be ‘virtually unchanged’. Although he did not mention Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I wondered if that were going to be his next story.         This is clearly a man who lives in or near a city, has a family doctor, and does not plan to slip on the ice while visiting Riley Brook.
 
           I am wondering if it may not be a good idea to bring a busload of these government ministers, bureaucrats, and city editorial writers to northern Victoria County. They would be given downhill skis and airlifted to the top of Mount Carleton. Perhaps a few hours later these people might find that we who don’t live in the shadow of a city hospital might possibly need medical care just as much as those who do.

                                                                        ********************************

            Although I didn’t intend it this way, it has turned out that this week’s column is all about governments and their peccadilloes. (I thought for a long time that a peccadillo was a lizard, and maybe it is.)

            This last topic is about the proposed new provincial ridings. A lot of people are upset about their new ridings which pay much more attention to numbers than to the language spoken in a certain area. The Tory government, with the connivance of the Liberals, hired a commission to redraw the province’s boundaries and lower the number of ridings from 55 to 49. The new riding here, where I live, is going to be called Carleton-Victoria and will go from Centreville to (roughly) Saskatoon. You might say it is a Titanic riding, as we think back to 1912.

            North of us will be Victoria-la-Vallée, which will include Grand Falls, St. Leonard, St. André, Drummond, and other strongly Francophone areas like Four Falls, Medford, and New Denmark. A note though: Although the area Nictau is listed as belonging to the riding of Victoria-la-Vallée, the people of Nictau will vote in Carleton-Victoria. MLA Wes McLean straightened me out on that.

            We must keep in mind that this is a PROPOSAL. When my (future) wife proposed to me in 1982, and begged and pleaded I might add, that was merely a proposal. Get my drift? How I’ve suffered.   
                                                -end-

No comments: